Favorite Training Music?

What are you all listening to while training? If I’m not listening to podcasts, then lately it’s nearly always Run The Jewels, POS, Doomtree, or something from Dreamville, particularly J.I.D. He’s for sure my favorite newer rapper.

I find different music for different training regimes work best for me.

For stretching/mobility/light work I prefer podcasts.
Heavy lifting = heavy metal
I like boom bap beats for Power endurance/endurance on the board. Helps me get into a flow state.
Any cardio, any good rock music

2 Likes

Depends a bit on the session/mood but I tend towards specific records and mixes. If I need to get a hard session done it’s usually heavy guitar based music, if it’s longer and I’m setting boulders long form electronic mixes are my cup of tea. Heavy music recently: dopethrone and witchcult today by Electric Wizard, lightening at the door by All Them Witches, any of the Deafheaven records, Satan is king by ACXDC, any of the old Mastodon records. Long form electronic has been a lot of Lane 8 and Art Department lately. I’ll mix in true crime podcasts as well if the mood strikes. Occasionally any of the Odd Future records make it into rotation or classic post-punk or post punk revival is always welcome.

2 Likes

@Pisyphus you should check out Rifflord. The lead guitar/vocalist is one of my favorite humans - actually performed the ceremony to marry my wife and I. Paul and I are using their music for our new (secret) podcast. :shushing_face:

1 Like

Sandstorm, by Darude (but like the 60 minute long version all the gyms used to play)

Remember when every event or comp played Sail?

4 Likes

Lol yes! One of the best things about Sail is the fan video beating the official video to Youtube and hanging on to its lead in views

1 Like

90s hip hop, obviously. Just on a shuffle of whatever Spotify gives me.

Not sure how you’re able to concentrate on podcasts while training. My little brain might explode trying to pay attention to too many things at once.

1 Like

90s NYC hardcore for me. Always.

1 Like

Beastie Boys - Sabotage for efforts near or at the limit

2 Likes

The “I Love My 90’s Hip Hop” and “Hip Hop BBQ” Spotify playlists get a lot of airtime in the Machine Shop :+1::blush:

1 Like

@powercoinfo maybe we should make our own Machine Shop playlists? Yours will be considerably more bubblegum than mine, but some people are into that.

4 Likes

Please do this

1 Like

Either progressive metal (Slice the Cake, Between the Buried and Me, Meshuggah, and Vildjharta are on regular rotations) or Phish.

It’s quite the juxtaposition.

2 Likes

Some industrial/experimental hip hop (Death Grips, JPEGMAFIA, Clipping.) Mixed with some older hardcore punk is best at what gets me super psyched and focused to try hard while training.

1 Like

Dopethrone has been my go-to for strength sessions of late as well.

1 Like

I’m going to put myself out there and say I listen to mostly Latin pop and Kpop when climbing. Also when working. I can’t listen to music that is in English when I’m doing other things, I find it too distracting.

1 Like

@MorganScully slow heavy music for slow heavy weights haha. Probably not so great for power sessions but it seems to get the job done

1 Like

Yea I feel ya! A heavy mood for some heavy metal. Something about those reverberations does the trick

I’ve found myself listening to a fair bit of Tool again recently. Their music is incredibly intricate but also has some heaviness for when I just need to get a bit amped up.