Grasshopper vs Moon board mini

Looking to upgrade from my little home spray wall to a set board. I live in a small town in Canada without access to a climbing gym, and where I can only climb outside 5-6 months of the year. I am looking for something I can warm up on, build some endurance and limit boulder. I am intrigued by the Grasshopper, with the options of setting circuits and longer “routes”, but to fit it in my space it would need to be 35’. The other option for me is the MoonBoard Mini and adding some extra holds and jugs in the extra space I would have. Wondering if anyone has spent time on these two options and is willing to share their opinions on them?

If you’re set between the Grasshopper @ 35 and the Moonboard Mini at 40 + jugs, I’d take the Grasshopper all day on that choice. While the Moonboard mini is intriguing, it seems like it’s not a great substitute for the Moon proper, and its very small- if you have room for a proper board, even at 35, I’d highly recommend that route.

Personally, I’d also consider the Kilter home board- which I have at 35 and absolutely love. It runs on the same app platform as Grasshopper (or rather, Grasshopper also uses Aurora, who originally developed the app for the Kilterboard), so it has all the same features. I do think that 35 is a bit steep for the route feature fwiw- i’ve toyed with it, but rarely use it. Like the Grasshopper, the home board was originally developed for the 7x10 space, and is, imho, a much different and in many ways a better board than their original model.

Another vote for Grasshopper. Better hold selection and definitely better as an endurance wall than a Moonboard.

I’ve used the route tool pretty effectively with clients by using the actual route as a performance element, and then breaking it into overlapping parts for intervals. Something like 1 full route attempt, rest, intervals. And possibly a day each week or two that is purely a performance day on the route.

1 Like

Thanks! I was leaning towards the Grasshopper, and your comments are confirming that. (also I had ruled out the Kilter board because its a bit more $$ and this is already a big investment!)

Fwiw- the Main Line Kilterboard, with LEDs is $200 less than the Grasshopper system with LEDs for the same number of holds- and you can always add on the Aux line later, effectively doubling your hold options.

There’s a pretty big community that is running the Main Line getting pretty strong, too.

@jwilder oh that is interesting… What I was seeing for costs online showed the Kilter was $800 more than the Grasshopper?

Comments on Kilter vs Grasshopper @Kris ?

Still a wider variety of holds on the Grasshopper, so that still wins for me.

1 Like

That might be for the original Kilterboard. The holds are bigger and there’s a 7x10 option.

The home board is a completely different board- and has a much deeper type of hold selection than the original. The holds are smaller (which is why they can keep the price down)- and the layout is more tuned.

A lot of people haven’t touched the home board yet, but everyone I’ve had on mine has loved it, including a few coaches who had a meh feeling on the original board. I would agree- the original is, for the most part, big open handed holds- and I don’t think there’s one big open handed hold on the home board- it’s a wider spread of low profile pinches, slopers, crimps, and jugs. No pockets- but I don’t think the grasshopper has those either.

I’ve never used grasshopper, kilter, or a full sized moonboard - just tension board and I own a moonboard mini. What I’ll say about the mini MB is it really blows my mind how versatile it is for being such a small board, and how it seems to directly connect to the type of outdoor climbing I do anyway (Mid East coast US). There are hardly any of the big jumpy moves that I see videos of on the full MB. It’s a lot more about keeping tension, especially foot tension, through a really hard 2-6 moves, often involving tricky traverses. My only problem with mine is that my board is outside, and the wood holds are of course affected by conditions, so lots of sessions are spent dealing with conditions rather than projecting the way I would like (bc usually i’m only doing a board session if outdoor conditions are bad, I.e. bad for the board too). But hey, it fits in my space where no other boards would fit, gives me a ton of projects and connection with a great community. Life saver during Covid.

You’d have to be a monster to train endurance on it though! I’ve seen one mini MB user posting circuit vids, but I’d just put in jugs if that was a focus/goal.

The home wall grips are definitely more diverse than the OG big walls. Still no large, full handed slopey grips though. That’s my big complaint with most boards. Unless you have that stuff available elsewhere, it’s pretty limiting, and not easy to train off the wall like smaller holds are.

Honestly, I don’t think the type of wall is the main limiter for anyone, and which is “better” is going to come down to too many personal factors to ever list. What’s more important is what you do with it.

I’ll personally always go spray wall, or whichever board I can get cheapest and I’ll likely always add more holds - particularly bad feet.

2 Likes

I fully agree on all points- I just like to inform people where I can on the different options- a ton of people discount the Kilter in particular due to cost, even though it’s competitive. I’ve talked to a bunch of people about my board and boards in general, and I always start the conversation with- what do you want to accomplish and what kind of climbing do you primarily want to do/train for? It’s not uncommon to recommend them to get a different system than mine based on their personal goals.

Speaking of bad feet- i really need to get my power company feet on my wall!