Hueco

I keep hearing about people’s trips or plans for trips to Hueco. I have to wonder if and how people are reconciling the idea of spending money with and in Texas given the state’s recent legislation regarding voting and reproductive rights. Thoughts?

This is a good question. I’ve never paid super close attention to politics outside of the areas I’m well versed in, and that includes this. I have my opinion, which disagrees entirely with what I understand of the issue in Texas, but I don’t know enough about the actual issues outside of the rants on social media, which I rarely trust.

I was just considering going to Hueco for a few days in February, so i’ll look a little closer at both Texas overall and what it might mean for El Paso (who I believe voted in a Democratic mayor recently).

I agree with where you’re coming from regarding those recent Texas laws. However, I’m not totally convinced that boycotting a state in the way you’re talking about is really an effective way of accomplishing anything. If you personally don’t want to do businesses in Texas I support you in that but I’m not sure if climbers going to Hueco should feel guilty.

I know in the past professional sports leagues have moved events from states after certain legislative agendas were passed I’m not sure if any of that was effective for change.

Meanwhile I will continue my personal boycott of Texas and every other state that isn’t in New England because I just really don’t travel.

1 Like

I don’t think climbers going to Hueco should feel guilty but I do think they, and everyone in general, should have an awareness of the situation and I wonder if they do

1 Like