Nominations for Most Inspiring Ascents of 2022

It’s no secret that I’m not all that impressed by another pro climbing another hard grade when their only responsibility is to climb another hard grade. If that makes me a curmudgeon, I’ll wave that flag proudly. :checkered_flag::man_shrugging:t2:

Nate and I want to record an episode (or a series of episodes) about the top most inspiring ascents of 2022, and we need your help! We’d love it if you told us about what you’re proud to have done this year, or nominate a friend for what they’ve accomplished.

Celebrating the “regular” folks who go the extra length to make this community better is what I love to do - and that includes trying hard while climbing and pushing your own limits. V17 is cool, but I’m far more inspired by a new mom who somehow carves out the time to get out there and send something significant for her while working a full time job and being a damned superhero.

Go here to nominate yourself or a friend!

Honestly, I’m still proud every time I take a fall, haha! Not so long ago I had such a big fear of falling when sport climbing that I only did routes that were FAR below my limit. Every fall is a little reminder of how much I’ve grown in terms of the mental game, and nowadays I usually fall with a smile on my face :slight_smile:

I’ve forwarded your instagram post to like 10 friends who did super impressive stuff. For instance, a friend of mine managed to climb his first 8b this year, while working full time, and finishing his masters, and keeping a healthy relationship with his girlfriend, and going to the crag several times a month. I’m especially impressed by how he manages to still invest in his social and romantic life, because the crag we go to is a 9 hour drive (round trip)… so together with all the training and other life obligations, that really doesn’t leave much time. I asked him, and a couple of others, to write his story. Hope they manage to get around to it :slight_smile:

1 Like