Recording videos of yourself

Does anybody record videos of themselves while climbing? If so, do you find it useful? Would you watch the video in between attempts or when you get home?
This is mostly for indoor climbing, but it could be applied to outdoor too. Sports or boulders.

2 Likes

Yes!

I find watching video between attempts to be more valuable than watching later.

I also get more out of video while bouldering vs route climbing .

while video is valuable, climbing is probably more valuable. It’s easy to waste valuable climbing time futzing around with your video.

1 Like

I used to film myself from time to time because I liked the idea of having a library of progress. Last year I started recording things for my youtube channel, and it got more structured.

Filming and watching yourself between attempts can be useful for technique, small beta changes or to realise glaring mistakes. I also feel that through time, by filming yourself and then watching it back, you get back at analysing as a skill and maybe you don’t need the videos as often.

Because of the youtube thing I often film a lot and don’t watch what I’ve done until after the session. This is very useful for bigger concepts, for instance to compare the effects of different tactics or strategies in different sessions. Or to track progress over time when you’re practising movement skills.

I think I record at least once every 2 weeks, and usually the filming has a goal (for instance to see how my breathing affects my movement).

1 Like

100% YES to filming!

I used to only film when I though I was close to sending, but recently I’ve started filming almost every attempt on hard for me problems. I find the learning invaluable for progress, but I also think as I see what is happening with my body I’m getting better at feeling it too.

1 Like

Absolutely- and its been huge for my limit bouldering. I’ll review footage and make really small adjustments based on foot placement, body position, etc and usually see immediate improvement on my next attempt.

I also find it helpful when I’m doing three strike attempts or just trying to repeat problems I did a long time ago to go back and review the send footage to see what i did right. I will admit this part would be harder if the instagram beta wasnt tied into the kilter app- i’m not dedicated enough to fully organize all my videos.

I know @Kris did an episode where they discussed this particular approach and how it is good- but also like most things, moderation can be important here- getting a video of every single thing you do is probably overkill- but i do think if you’re stuck and trying to progress on a boulder and you cant see what you might be doing wrong, video is a fantastic tool to help sort it out.

1 Like