Recovery

Anyone have any tips, tricks, supplements or etc that have helped them with recovery. Maybe it’s my age (42) but it seems like recovery has gotten more difficult.

I’m a somewhat recent convert but I swear by the BCAAs during activity. You come out more hydrated, but also recovery is sped up and I don’t get the immediate aches right after.

I’m a big fan of 3 or 4 to 1 carbs to protein in a drink post Hard climbing or training.

Regular chocolate milk used to be my go to, but I’ve developed a dairy sensitivity, so that doesn’t work for me anymore, but in my early 40s it worked better than anything else.

1 Like

@Mshepard How is your sleep? Nothing rivals sleep (quality and quantity) for recovery IMHO

@Kris A chocolate milk after a big workout was how I discovered that I had become unable to handle dairy (late 30s/early 40s I think). Not a fun experience. I can still handle whey or casein if it’s free enough of lactose.

I was hoping some one might mention if they use any supplements to help with sleep. At some point in the last couple years it seems like sleep has gotten less reliable for me,one night might be great and the next horrible

Not everything works the same for everybody, but here are some things that help/hinder my sleep:

• alcohol decreases my sleep quality, even as it may make me fall asleep easily
  • mental practices (meditation, mindfulness, breathing…) to help the mind be calm
  • CBD mostly seems to help me (I like the Hammer brand)
  • when I really want to be knocked out, a valerian root and CBD tincture that I got for Xmas (Theragun brand) did the job, but I would not want to rely on that
  • no light is best; I have a sleep mask that does help
  • I do agree mostly that “hours before midnight count double”
  • if it’s too hot I don’t sleep well
  • consider also your dinner; it’s different for everybody I think, too much is not good but neither is too little
  • caffeine - I am quite sensitive and avoid it on most days, but there is research that showed that caffeine negatively affects your sleep even if it doesn’t literally wake you up at night

That should get you started… :joy:

2 Likes

Most psychologists would recommend getting a good sleep hygiene: using your bedroom only for sleeping (not work or tv or instagram). Having a routine before going to bed (preferably without any blue lights or overhead lights before bed, red light filters on your phone or computer can help). Getting sunlight in the morning to keep your cycle accurate. And if it’s actual insomnia, know that about 90% of insomnia cases are solved with 1 session of cognitive behavioral therapy. Good luck!