Reviving a poor session

Has anyone else had a session or crag day, where you are struggling with performance… Maybe it’s dropping a climb that you know you can climb (or even have lapped previously), or the feeling off being burned off by your friends.

You start to think “Urgh! Today is gonna be a grind”

Then suddenly, something happens and it feels almost like a switch has been flicked and the session suddenly rises like a Phoenix, out of the pit of despair into an enjoyable day.

This seems to happen to me, when I change routes (maybe drop a grade) and then my confidence returns and my body responds positively.

I wonder if there’s a psychological term for it…

1 Like

You start to think “Urgh! Today is gonna be a grind”

Most people can probably relate to “getting started on the wrong foot” with a climbing day. Some days do just feel like everything is clicking. For me, I’ve really tried to look into figuring out what contributes to those on or off days. And importantly, I try not to project a single climb or move or thought onto an entire day.

Then suddenly, something happens and it feels almost like a switch has been flicked

Could you spend some time trying to identify what it is that makes this switch flip? Is it connecting back to the climbing movement and “getting out of your head”? Is it succeeding at something in comparison to another person?

The way you describe the sensation, the flip “just happens” - it’s currently not something it seems like you have control over. Since you’re inquiring about a specific term for this phenomenon, maybe you’re also looking for a way to manage this experience?

For me, it’s important to find what makes my days or climbs feel good. Then, if those reasons are ego driven (like “beating” someone on a climb) then that’s not sustainable or what I’m looking for long term in my climbing.

2 Likes

Good feedback @vic !

I find it often comes down to expectations. Not always of course, but it’s a good place to start.

We’ve seen over and over how the self imposed pressure of expectations can be disastrous, and as soon as they are lifted, things turn around.