Season Goals?

Anybody have any big goals for the season? Let us know here!

These can be specific or a little more abstract. There is research saying that putting your goals out there can be helpful - there is also research saying the opposite. So ultimately it’s up to you. Personally, I perform better after letting my goals be known.

1 Like

I’ve been mostly psyched to work and make things, but right now my big focus is building up and getting current with V6-V10 again. Last year I had a tremendous season by focusing on exactly that, and really enjoyed it, so I’m looking to repeat. Of course, that get’s harder as I’ve ticked off many of those grades that I can. So there’s now some travel and exploration involved, which is a bonus for me.

1 Like

Turning my tower into a legit pyramid. My current ticklist is something stupid like 1 v10, 1 v9 (which I sent before ever doing an 8), fewer than 5 v8s, and only a few more v7 than that. Time to build up that base!

1 Like

Got any specific ones picked out?

Hell, I’m working on a dang spreadsheet bro! The top is like v10: Dave Hume Problem; v9: Riverdance, Bedwetters, and 300; v8: Mojo, Cleopatra, Four Leaf Clovarete, and Grimace. Those and every v7 I see. I’ve tried them all at one point or another over the years. If you go on a tear and just start knocking shit out do you adjust your pyramid or what does that look like?

1 Like

Good list!
Absolutely adjust. I think it needs to be kept current, so to speak. Climbing 60 V7s is fun, but takes a lot of time, so once that base of 8 or 10 boulders of a grade feels solid, move on with the pyramid and keep pushing the point higher and filling in the base below it.
I think the trick is to not get trapped into ONLY pushing the point higher or ONLY building a massive base. Keep it fresh and keep switching it up and it’ll grow faster, in my experience.

1 Like

100% agree with Kris on the 8-10. Made myself a lovely pancake pyramid as a weekend warrior and would not recommend. The 1, 2, 4, 8 pyramid from max to base works well.

1 Like

I’ll also add that sometimes you have to go back down and rebuild. Maybe that isn’t talked about enough. I just went through a pretty long period of being focused on work and vegetable boulders, so now I’m rebuilding a bit in the 7-9 range to set me up better for more double digits.

I’m actually really fascinated by the weekend warriors who have ended up with the tower as opposed to the pyramid - maybe it sounds like something to fix but to me I feel like there might be something to be gained from that mentality - do you just go to the same project every weekend and eventually put it down?

So far I’ve been the opposite - as a weekend warrior who (with a few longer trips per year), I’ve ended up with a pretty reasonable Pyramid - something like 30-40 V8s, 15 V9s, and couple V10s, but I’ve never managed to spend enough time to project something harder to see if I can actually take the next steps. Living for the past five years in DC and now in Chicago, it sometimes feels like if I can’t send it quickly it’s not worth spending a bunch of time on in a season because I might run out of time/be screwed by weather. Pretty much everything I’ve ever sent I’ve done in at most a few sessions.

So I guess on topic, my season goals are to simply send a few more double digit boulders if possible, and to try and find maybe a long term project somewhere in the world that I can revisit over time.

Good goals @GRedlawsk ! Living near something is pretty key for climbing things that are actually are for you, unless you have the ability to travel relatively open ended.
I’ve done both scenarios - huge base, and focusing on adding to the top. I think both are valuable, and teach different lessons. Weekend Warriors might need to think of “current” as 24 months - and allow things to take a little longer.
Switching mentally from “I’ll run out of time” or “I got screwed by weather” to “next season I’ll be excited to keep trying” and “the weather wasn’t on my side this time but it will be eventually” can open you up to trying harder things.

4 Likes

I set myself a 2Year Goal last year as i felt with my life it‘s probably not doable in 12 months for me and i‘m still on a good track.
This season i need to solidify my topgrade a bit to upgrade next year if i want to achieve my goals ,so i‘ll work on the upper end of my Pyramid and will do a few 12b/c before christmas then move on.

2 Likes

Whit - give me a shout if you ever want someone to join you out at those boulders, I’m hoping to get on lord of the dance/david hume/bedwetters at some point this season and the more pads the merrier. Tried David Hume by myself with two pads two weeks ago and it was not ideal lol.

1 Like

Well said! That’s my goal and keep the goal the goal.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice, I definitely think working on mindset is probably another worthwhile season goal for me outside of just how hard I climb.

Just updating as the season keeps moving. This past weekend I climbed a fair amount with Will Anglin, and feel like I’m hitting a good stride, despite the growing number of non climbing projects I seem to come up with. He turned me on to a possible low start to a V10 that I did quickly last year. It adds two moves that suit me pretty much perfectly - though pretty close to limit in maybe my strongest suit.
We tried it a bit together, and he estimated the first two moves alone are V11, which according to “the formula” puts it squarely into V12.
It’s sunny there all winter, so as long as the roads aren’t snowed in I’ll be out there regularly!

Here’s the 10: Quick Send Boulder Tactics | Ra (V10) - YouTube

4 Likes

Nice! That’s a bit of a dream scenario, someone strong pre-nearly-in-a-roundabout-way-confirms the grade of a style specific sit start to a hard boulder you’ve already done to hit a new level! Psyched to follow along on the process of this one!

My seasons a bit limited, being up in NE this year has been a nightmare, and being 2 hours from the closest boulders doesn’t help. Currently sieging what I hope is my first V12. This is my last season up here, and I’m getting a torn labrum fixed soon so it’s a little short and pressure is on! Falling off the last move now though, so hoping the weather holds out just long enough! I’ve never really sieged on a boulder before, so it’s been an interesting season sorting out tactics and timing, and at this point psych to keep it up.

Good luck to everyone with the projects!

2 Likes

What’s the v12 you’re working on?

Era of Lobotomy in the Adirondacks (NY). FA vid attached because why not.

3 Likes

I am trying to send my first 12b before the winter shuts us down in British Columbia. The route is at our driest warmest crag so it is possible to climb most of the year, but not always likely.

I have been able to do the route in two slightly overlapping section after 5 times up the route. I have 3 really good weather days coming up and would be really pleased if I can be in send position at that time.

2 Likes

That looks awesome, hope you get it done.

A chipmunk stealing tortilla chips is probably my favorite climbing vid intro