Skin Tactics

Hey y’all, I need tips for my literal finger tips.

All the skin on my hands is good except for the finger tip pads. I use Rhino semi-religiously but maybe I’m not using the right stuff the right way.

I have sweaty hands and climb at The New so this is a big problem, especially training in the summer months.

I’ve tried using Rhino’s “Tip Juice” on the pads exclusively but it didn’t do a whole lot. Maybe I was inconsistent or too infrequent?

Looking for advice from my sweaty handed community members :open_hands:t2:

Hey! Fellow sweaty handed person here.
So my beta is to really experiment with the different products when it doesn’t really matter, such as the off-season or when it’s still too chilly to sweat. Try going overboard - how many days per week do u need to apply the product in order to get too dry tips? (I find that the effect of every application builds up over a couple of days). I switch between the dry spray and performance cream. Preparation for an outdoor trip might look like:
Monday: dry spray
Tuesday: performance
Wednesday - Thursday : wait for effects and evaluate how much more I need to apply. If I’m already pretty dry - hit it w performance. If I still have ways to go - I do dry. If I went overboard I might do some repair or some cheaper hand cream like O’Keefes.

This will change depending on how much climbing I’m doing, what terrain im climbing on, how many cuts/flappers/wear I get, the temperature, if I still want to be able to climb inside etc.

Ofc, fear plays a huge role in sweating. Whenever I get scared on a rope, or flustered, I sweat profusely. Another thing I’ve been doing is actually leading easier stuff with no chalk, to get more comfortable slippin’ and clippin’.

So it’s about experimenting and getting to know the product and your skin. If ure really motivated, keeping some sort of skin diary would probably really increase your learning.
For example:
Glassiness 1-10
Durability 1-10
Sweatiness 1-10
Excess skin production 1-10

Lastly, a portable fan can really work wonders on shorter stuff or low cruxes (I bring one for bouldering).

3 Likes

Also sweating like hell and trying different products. I found that accelerating skin recovery and almost doing the opposite like moisturizing it many times on rest days works better for me. From my experience i’m sweating the most when skin is the thinnest after a good sharp slopper session. Applying Rhino Performance on the thin skin partially solves the problem by making it less moist but lack of fingertip texture just makes it very glassy, not even sure whats worse.

Apart from that if i know that i need my best skin for the weekend, i need modify my climbing to avoid digging the skin destruction hole. For a few sessions before i try following few tactics:

• Switch to wooden holds like boards / system wall as well as prefer wooden hangboard for warmup / fingers session
  • Dont touch or limit my attempts on new set of boulders since holds are usually sharp. Also old sets with very sharp holds goes here.
  • Dont touch or limit my attempts on very moves where i pay with skin for lack of control. Can still project more controlled parts of the boulders, can link later.
  • Try my best not to fall for friends trap to have a huge 3-4h session even if its fun, if i cant avoid it, just take much longer rests, take of shoes often, drink water, socialize, etc hahaha

Hope some of those could help!

1 Like

I applied different products to only one hand at a time and then tested to check for differences. Didn’t notice any difference with different chalk and sweaty hands. Rhino skin helped a little bit against sweaty skin. Anti hydral helped a lot against sweaty skin. Mono with CBD (or any other skincare product with CBD) works great to accelerate the regeneration of my skin. And sometimes I will apply climb skin 2 hours before an outdoor climbing session, as it seems to toughen the skin and increase durability.

I tested dozens of products, but, every skin is different… so just because the above tests resulted in those products for me doesn’t mean they’ll work for you. Consider running some experiments of your own to find out :slight_smile:
Good luck!

1 Like