Training in the Field

Hi All, I’m and outdoor education teacher so I spend a lot of time in the field camping and away from normal training facilities. Normally my trips are 4-5 days so I normally think if it like a deload and don’t worry about training or maintaining strength.

I’m heading off on a three week trip soon, and I’m wondering how to best maintain some climbing strength while I’m gone.

I’ve got the lattice bar, and I could probably bring a theraband or something. Needless to say, I don’t have a lot of time each day, but I’m pretty motivated so I’m sure I’ll find a little time!

I’ve got some ideas, but don’t want to skew answers. How would you approach this scenario? Could even be a good thought experiment for yourself to think about what is essential!

I‘d do the same basic minimum i try to do year round. Just a few hangs and few pullups whenever i feel like doing it ,but once weekly at least…

1 Like

For me, it depends on what the weeks prior looked like and what’s coming up after. If a full cycle is coming up, I might even rest and just make sure I’m doing other physical things.
There’s a lot made about how quickly we begin to detrain, but those studies are all based on metrics, not performance. Pretty normal to take a month off and perform exactly the same after a couple of sessions back.
If I NEEDED to keep strength up, I’d probably only worry about fingers and just stay physical otherwise.

2 Likes

I’m gonna focus on push ups and shoulder mobility. Two big weaknesses for me. Seems like a good opportunity to rest the fingers!

2 Likes