What are you reading?

Saw a post by @maxdtaylor in another post about music (audio books) and figured I’d just bring it out and give it it’s own space.

I’ve just begun the Wheel of Time series, for a change, but normally I read mostly sci-fi and some more modern fiction.

What are other pipes reading/recommending? I have read a lot of atabdalone books recently that are phenomenal.

1 Like

Latest 2 pieces:
Non-climbing: Cixin Liu - Three body problem - 10/10 would recommend for people that like sci-fi and deep ideas on the edge of physics and philosophy.
Climbing related: Need Fehally`s Beastmaking: 6/10, quite liked his view on bouldering training, its quite diverse for beginner climbers, intermediates will probably only find half of the book interesting (tactics for skin, training planning, board sessions, which grips to work on, etc), and im not sure advanced can learn much.

2 Likes

Currently lots of research papers, Hip Hop (And Other Things) by Shea Serrano, and the Night Watch Discworld books from Terry Pratchett at bedtime, out loud to my wife.

Wheel of Time and Discworld are both amazing!

I just started the Malazan books while also slowly working my way through 9/10 Climbers make the same mistakes and The Hard Truth.

Don’t Tell Mum I Work on the Rigs: (She Thinks I’m a Piano Player in a Whorehouse)
By Paul Carter is my go-to travel book

2 Likes

I’m on book 8 of the Malazan books but it’s taking me awhile to get here.

I drift back into climbing/training specific things from time to time as well

2 Likes

James Clear’s Atomic Habits. Just finished it and immediately restarted it. Sooo good!

1 Like

Love seeing the Malazan folks in here @maxdtaylor ! I’m only mid book 2 but love it so far. I have 2.5-3hrs in the car per day commute-wise so I listen to audio books more than read now. Currently doing Brothers Karamazov that way after War & Peace and some other Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Hugo 19th century stuff I just always enjoy. Reading the His Dark Materials series as a fun before bed read. CSCS prep essentials of strength training and conditioning otherwise unless something jumps out at me. Re-read Crime & Punishment and The Trial in the past couple years and would recommend a re-read for anyone who enjoyed them in their highschool/college years. Aged well and different!

I’ve been doing a lot of audiobooks on rest days and while driving to climb. I’m fairly picky about the narrator’s voice these two are the best for content and great reading voice IMO. (FFO science/nature)

Audiobook:

Entangled Life: How Fungi make our worlds, change our minds, and shape our futures. - Merlin Sheldrake

Braiding Sweetgrass - Robin Wall Kimmerer

Physical books:

Underland by Robert MacFarlane

Finding the mother tree by Suzanne Simard

2 Likes

Just finished HH&OT. Dude… so good! A bunch of people put his “fight to the death” playlist on spotify that is good to play during a workout.

Awesome. Going into that chapter I had Ante Up picked as #1, but some of his picks surprised me only because I’d forgotten them. Such a good list. Slam by Onyx (his #7) was the soundtrack of my freshman year of college (which is maybe partly why I went to jail instead of finishing that year?).

1 Like

So good. His chapter on Young Jeezy hit me similar to what you’re describing above lol. His Source awards recap was amazing too. There were so many awesome moments to interact with the essays he wrote with my browser open to watch along with what he wrote.

1 Like

So much nostalgia!!

Have you read Gathering Moss? I haven’t gotten into Braiding Sweetgrass yet, but Gathering Moss is awesome!

1 Like

For the hiphop heads, I just started reading the new Dan Charnas book, Dilla Time. Part biography of Dilla, part explanation of what it was that made his beats so different and how his music altered popular music forever. A few days in, and loving it.

1 Like

I’ve just finished Distress by Greg Eagan. Starting Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds. I would recommend both authors to sci-fi fans.

2 Likes